Dr. Lisa Thouas is a Registered Clinical Psychologist that provides psychological assessment and treatment services to adults, adolescents, and children.
Dr. Thouas has a special interest in working with two specific populations:
(1) Adults who
a. have experienced a traumatic event, including those who have been diagnosed with acute stress disorder, adjustment disorder, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
b. experience distressing symptoms of anxiety (e.g., fear of situations/objects, phobias), physical symptoms of anxiety, excessive worries.
(2) Children and adolescents who
a. experience symptoms of anxiety such as excessive worries, physical symptoms of anxiety, fears of certain objects (e.g., needles) or situations (e.g., social situations, being separated from a loved one, attending school, going to bed at night), or symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
b. experience sleep difficulty (e.g., difficulty falling asleep independently, frequent night waking)
Dr. Thouas has specialized training and experience in several treatment modalities, including Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and in trauma-specific treatments including Prolonged Exposure (PE) Therapy, Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy.
Dr. Thouas received her Masters and Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the University of Manitoba. She has experience in working in a variety of settings including private practice, hospital, and forensic settings. Additionally, she worked for the Southern Regional Health Authority as the supervising psychologist (psychological consultant) to Community Mental Health workers.
Dr. Thouas is a registered member of the Psychological Association of Manitoba (PAM), of the Manitoba Psychological Society (MPS) and held the position of Early Career Psychologist Representative on the Manitoba Psychological Society Board from 2013 until 2017.
Prior to a first appointment with Dr. Thouas you will be asked to complete forms and measures. She will then meet with you to discuss difficulties you have been experiencing, and if applicable, will provide a diagnosis and treatment recommendations. At the end of the meeting, you will collaboratively discuss how to best implement treatment in a way that works with you.
Dr. Thouas is a registered provider with Worker’s Compensation Board of Manitoba (WCB), Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI), Canadian Forces, Veterans Affairs Canada, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), Health Care Employee Benefit Plan (HEB), among other organizations. If your services are being paid for by a third party and you are unsure as to whether they will fund your sessions with Dr. Thouas, please feel free to call and inquire.
- Physician or Specialist Referrals: Physicians and other health care professionals may submit a referral by emailing Dr.Thouas@SimplyPsychology.ca or faxing the referral to (204) 505-0327, Attn: Dr. Thouas. Alternatively, a physician is welcome to contact Dr. Thouas directly at (204) 505-0325, ext. 104 to discuss referrals.
- Patient Self-Referral: Individuals who would like to call to make an appointment are welcome to do so by calling (204) 505-0325 ext. 104. Please note that psychological services are covered by most private health plans, and may be income tax deductible. A physician referral may be required in order to access the coverage.
- Referrals from Organizations: Organizations such as those listed below (among others) may submit a referral by faxing the information to (204) 505-0327, Attn: Dr. Thouas.
* Canadian Forces (CF)
* Health Care Employee Benefit Plan (HEB)
* Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI)
* Manitoba Teachers Society (MTS)
* Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
* Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
* Victim Services
* Worker’s Compensation Board of Manitoba (WCB)
* School psychologists or school guidance counsellors
* *Among other organizations